What We’ve Done Well
– researched and bought apps for whole school use
– had staff training from an Apple ADE
– employed Digital Leaders as experts
– continued staff training with DLs
What We Can Do Next (thanks to Wyndham)
– invite parents in to share iPad journey and how to use different apps
– create a ‘must-have’ list of apps for teachers to familiarise themselves with
– regular discussion in staff meeting time about how apps have been used
I’ve read plenty of blogs and tweets that have warned against the pitfalls of buying iPads without a plan. Whilst we weren’t without a plan, we could perhaps have been more focused. In our defence, we bought the iPads just after Easter, had them set up after A LOT of faffing from our former technician (5 weeks later) then had to reset them all recently so they could be reconfigured correctly. Really, it is only now that we are ready to go.
Seeing Wyndham’s use of iPads was refreshing – the headteacher took us on an impromptu walk around, where we saw lots of classes using them in different ways – but the most pleasing thing was that they weren’t showing off. It wasn’t ‘look at how brilliant we are’, more ‘we have tried this, what do you think?’
– Digital Leaders – it was lovely to see how Digital Leaders are integral to Wyndham, just as they are becoming with us. Fortunately I was able to talk to Verity and Ben before I left and we are hopefully going to get our Digital Leaders working together in the near future.
– Workshops – I’ve read somewhere about Genius Bars set up in schools, aimed at staff. I’m hoping we can implement something similar with our DLs for teachers and TAs.
My headteacher and I have also started hatching a plan on a grander scale for the summer…watch this space.
Let the iPad journey begin!